Monday, July 28, 2014

Hamar House Center for Diversity and Inclusion


Blogger friend Bob Felton of Civil Commotion is vacationing in Michigan and came across this sign that he thought I would find of interest.  It turns out the project is at Michigan Technological University.  Here's how "Hamar House" describes its mission:
The Center for Diversity and Inclusion at Michigan Technological University is a resource for preparing and empowering socially conscious leaders who will create the future. The staff actively encourages the intellectual, social, and professional growth of gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer, and questioning (GLBTQ) students; students of color; and women. Our programs focus on cultural awareness, community building, and student retention.
 I've been unable to find out how the  facility got its name, but if any readers know, please drop me a message.  I am not aware of any relatives in Michigan, but one never knows.  With many of the records destroyed during World War II at the German port that my father's ancestors from Austria sailed from as they headed to America, I could well have unknown relatives in Michigan (I have a likely distant cousin in South Carolina that I met on Facebook of all places.  Oh, and did I mention that he's gay too?)

No comments: