Thursday, December 19, 2013

The Boyfriend and I Are Getting Married

12-15-13 at a friend's home in Kingsmill near Williamsburg
A number of readers of this blog have followed it from the beginning and have followed me through the horrors of my divorce after coming out, my struggles to find full self-acceptance and freedom from internalized homophobia, moments of deep depression and other life time events and challenges.  Now, after five and a half years together, the boyfriend and I have set a date and will be getting married in Washington, D.C., on Sunday, April 20, 2014.  We will be using the same marriage commissioner that friends used and found to be wonderful.  

As for the timing, we had thought of waiting until marriage became legal in Virginia, but in the wake of the DOMA ruling and with the boyfriend's dad growing older - we want him to co-officiate since he is a retired pastor - we decided that waiting would be a mistake.  The ceremony in Washington, D.C. will be small.  We will have a larger reception back in Hampton at a later date which has not yet been finalized.  So far the support from friends and family, including all three of my children, has been amazing.  

More details will follow as the plans become finalized.  My life has come a long way since the dark days of the past.

3 comments:

bobfelton said...

Congratulations!

RJ said...

How exciting! I wish you both the best.

Anonymous said...

This is 100%, totally AWESOME! I am so happy for you two!

Peace <3
Jay