Monday, December 02, 2013

Olympic Diver Tom Daley Comes Out!



One friend of my - who is a faithful reader of this blog - had his fantasies come true today when UK Olympic diver Tom Daley came out and said he was happy dating a guy. Yes, Douglas, I am referring to you. :)  Seriously, kudos to Tom Daley and the matter of fact way that he put honesty and authenticity first.  As one who spent decades in the closet, my hat is off to the younger generations who have the courage and/or self-acceptance to insist on living their lives as who they are and not as what they perceive what others want them to be.  The closet is so destructive and, in my view,  is soul killing.  Queerty has details.  Here are highlights:

Though there has been a fair amount of speculation, and many a furtive wet dream, leading up to this moment, Olympic diving twunk (twink + hunk) Tom Daley has come out.

In a video he posted to his YouTube today, Daley admits he’s only been willing to talk about things with which he’s comfortable. Now that he’s in a serious relationship, having met and fallen for a guy recently, he’s been able to take a figurative dive by publicly acknowledging his sexuality for the first time.

“Now I kind of feel ready to talk about my relationships,” Daley says. “Come spring this year, my life changed. Massively. When I met someone. And it made me feel so happy. So safe. And everything just feels so great. Well, that someone is a guy.”

Daley says he was “taken by surprise” by his new relationship, and though he still “fancies” girls, he says he couldn’t be happier.

I hope Daley finds much happiness in his new open life.  Back2Stonewall also has details here.


No comments: