Sunday, November 17, 2013

Fall Fling Regatta

Some of the assembled boats waiting to start

Posting was sparse yesterday because in addition to the Achievable Dream event last night, I spent most of the day skippering a boat in the Hampton Yacht Club "Fall Fling Regatta" which continues today provided the fog clears and the wind picks up.   With five separate classes of boats/heats there had to be around 50 boats or more.  It was pretty impressive to see the Hampton Roads harbor with so many sails.  The images in this post were snapped before the races started.  It was my first time as a skipper - I've crewed before - and although we did not place all that well, it was a lot of fun and I meet a great guy from our neighborhood that I'd never met before.  

One thing that continues to impress me is that as the first publicly announced gay members of HYC, we have found nothing but warmth and friendliness among the other members.  Virginia is changing, indeed, and the Virginia GOP needs to come into the 21st century.
One of the other Sonar class boats with our neighborhood in the background
The race committee boat with sails down

No comments: