Sunday, September 23, 2012

David Brooks Unloads on Romney Yet Again

As a former Republican who is dismayed over what has become of the Republican Party that once supported rationality and competency I am taking some solace that there are a few rational, thinking Republicans and it seems that many of them are venting over Mitt Romney's horrible campaign and the man's contempt for average Americans.  I've noted before that David Brooks is less than happy with the hapless Mitt.  Now, in the wake of Nicholas Kristof and Peggy Noonan, David Brooks has gone off on Romney again, this time on Meet the Press.  Here are highlights from Politico:

David Brooks is continuing his assault on Mitt Romney.

Appearing on NBC's "Meet the Press" Sunday, The New York Times conservative columnist continued his full assault on the Republican presidential nominee, saying he's simply not into his campaign.

"Mitt Romney does not have the passion for the stuff he’s talking about," Brooks said. "He’s a problem solver. I think he’s a non-ideological person running in an extremely ideological age, and he’s faking it. So if I were him, I’d go to what he’s been for the last several decades of his life: be a PowerPoint guy. Say ‘I’m making a sales pitch to the country here are the four things I’m going to reform. You don’t have to love me but I’m going to do these four things for you.’ And so I’d do a much more wonky and detailed thing than he’s done so far."

Personally, I don't think Brooks' proposed remedy will save the day for Romney.  As Peggy Noonan said, Romney is a cyborg with no human empathy - or concern, for that matter - for average people who I increasingly believe he sees as some sort of inferior species.   Romney wants the presidency simply because he wants it and, given his privileged life, he thinks he's entitled to it simply because he wants it.  The sad commentary is that Romney is even the GOP nominee, yet given the insanity and dysfunctional nature of today's GOP, Romney was the only half way rational contender for the nomination.

No comments: