Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Further Reflections on LGBT Teen Homelessness

I wrote the other day about the report done by the CBS affiliate in Miami, Florida, that focused on the plight of homeless LGBT teens who have been discarded by their families simply because they are LGBT. With three children of my own, I simply cannot grasp what kind of twisted, warped and self-centered parent could discard their own children. Coincidentally, I came across a post on this blog that I wrote in July, 2007, in which I related the response to a May, 2007, post that I had shared with my late mother and my sisters. For newer readers, my dad died in September, 2006, and my mother in January, 2011. Here's a highlight from the July, 2007, post:

I was touched by what my mother and one of my sisters said in e-mails to me. First excerpts from the e-mail from my mom, who will be 80 in the fall (she still cracks me up at times):

"Dear Michael, I am not quite sure what a blog is, but I do know you must have been happy with your Dad's response to you and [my ex-boy friend name has been omitted]. You were his son and that was all that mattered! . .

Would that all of these warped and horrible parents who discard their children could understand the simple truth that both of my parents embraced. It's so simple. These are you children and you should love them. To honor my parent's wonderful acceptance of me as I am, I set up this remembrance.

No comments: