Monday, October 31, 2011

If My Son Is Going To Hell, Then So Am I

As a parent myself, I cannot comprehend those who abandon their child when they discover that the child is LGBT I simply cannot understand how one could be so warped to do such a thing. I was fortunate and my parents never wavered in supporting me for a moment - which is one of the reasons why I established a scholarship in their memory and in honor of Hampton Roads Business OutReach (see the link on the right column of this blog). Queerty has a heartfelt column written by a woman with a gay brother and a slightly effeminate, possibly gay,son. Here columns demonstrate how anti-gay religious based bigotry is driving more and more individuals from the institutional church and religion in general. Here are some column excerpts:

I used to like going to church. My entire youth and early 20s was spent at church. I was there once, often twice a week, learning how to be a good Christian, playing broom hockey, taking gently worn shoes to kids in Mexico, singing “My God is an Awesome God” by the campfire and turning Bible verses into SNL-worthy skits.

But, then there’s that not-so-little matter of my religion not accepting members from the LGBT community. It’s a community that I live with and may be raising.

The other night, as I lay in bed thinking about religion, God and C.J, it came to me. If C.J. is going to hell, then I am too.

In Leviticus, not too far from the whole a-man-should-not-lay-with-another-man verse is a verse about not tattooing your body. I guess that tattooing verse wasn’t for real, but the same sex verse is super for real. . . . if there is leniency on some of God’s laws, but not all, I’d just like a breakdown of what we are taking seriously and what we aren’t.

I often think to myself, “God doesn’t make mistakes.” My gay brother is not a mistake. My gender-creative son is not a mistake. A friend sent me a verse from Psalms that says that “God knitted us in our mother’s womb.” I like that. God knitted C.J. (with rainbow-glitter yarn) in my womb.

My son is a miracle, knitted by God. If Jesus died on the cross for people’s sins, he died for C.J.’s sins too. I’m demanding it. . . . . I wonder how God and his followers could hate the person my sweet redheaded jokester may grow up to be.


I truly feel this woman's pain. Pain so needlessly caused by religious based bigotry based on chosen ignorance and hatred.

1 comment:

Biki Honko said...

I HATE the cherry picking that occurs as to what bible verse they follow and which they wont. How can God be all knowing, all loving, and made all of us in "his" image, and yet still hate some of his children?

Looking back at past civil rights issues, the main stream religious people have always been on the side of wrong. They were for slavery, were against voting rights and good schools for blacks. Were sure that allowing black and white to marry would lessen their marriages, and be the end of civilization as we know it. Well, if this is the pinnacle of civilization, then I'm glad its the end of it. Hopefully next time we'll get something better.

I love your posts, love your outlook. I read much of your posts, but comment seldom, and for that, I'm sorry. Please keep up the good fight.