Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Morning Reflections on Being Back in Virginia

We arrived home in Hampton last night after a wonderful time in New York City. Yes, it's good to be back in our home and our dogs went crazy with excitement when we walked through the door. Beyond that, I'd be lying if I said I was happy to be back in Virginia. The vibrancy of New York City, the feeling of innovation and progress in the air, the acceptance of diversity (and legal protections for LGBT individuals), and the obvious huge public investment in efforts like the Hudson River Park which has transformed a once ugly waterfront, all are the opposite of what one sees here in Virginia.

Back in May, 2010, I wrote about a Brookings Institute report that might be summarized as describing Hampton Roads region as "old, slow, and not too bright" given its aging population and net brain drain of college educated residents. Sadly, I do not see things changing, especially under the current Republican administration in Richmond that embraces the anti-modernity mindset described by Andrew Sullivan in a post on this blog yesterday and which slavishly kisses the hate-filled asses of bigots and religious extremists at The Family Foundation. It is truly depressing.

Getting back into the grind will take some effort. Being gone just two days and I have much to do at the office and I have to put together materials for a seminar I am presenting at the new LGBT Center in Norfolk on Saturday. The topics will be estate planning for LGBT couples, pointers for transgender individuals seeking to amend their records and the legal rights of LGBT Virginians (i.e., basically none). Yes, I am in a funk - but I will rally as I always do.

No comments: