Saturday, May 14, 2011

A Family Wedding

My youngest sister's daughter is getting married today and the boyfriend and I will be attending. In fact, he is doing my niece's and sister's hair for the event since their normal stylist is out of town. The wedding and reception will be held at a large beach house - eight bedrooms and 9 bathrooms - in the Sandbridge area of Virginia Beach (the photo at right is a view from the area where the house is located and the one below is a sunrise scene). Virginia Beach borders North Carolina and Sandbridge is basically the northern most part of the Outer Banks of North Carolina where they attach to the mainland. My youngest daughter will also be going to the affair. Hopefully, the weather will cooperate so we can take full advantage of the beautiful setting.
*
This is the first large family event since the psychodrama surrounding my late mother's death and funeral which led me to have a separate memorial service. All of my living siblings and just about all of their children will be there and, thus, it will be interesting to see how the day plays out. I'm not one to typically hold grudges and my issues were never with my youngest sister. I hope my niece has a magical day. Her husband to be is a cutie and seems like a truly sweet guy. I am facing the day with both excitement and apprehension.
*
As for being at the beach, it should be wonderful. The one thing I miss living in Hampton as opposed to Norfolk or Virginia Beach is the distance from the beach and surfing. Having to drive an hour - as opposed to 10-15 minutes as when I lived in Virginia Beach - makes one think twice about getting out the surf board and paddling out. One of my resolutions is to get back in the water more regularly and restore my lost endurance. It's great therapy and tones the upper body too!

No comments: