Saturday, April 02, 2011

Memorial Scholarship In Memory of My Parents.

The last five and one half years have been a financial Hell for me beginning with being forced from a larger local law firm for being gay, followed by a divorce from Hell where an anti-gay judge - who actually note that being gay was a "choice" - stripped me of pretty much everything I owned, and finally ended with me being forced into bankruptcy because of the former happenings. With the loss of my mother earlier in the year, I will soon - hopefully within a week or two - come into enough of an inheritance to clear up the last of the debts plaguing me and pay off in full amounts owed to my former wife under the divorce decree and finish repaying loans made to me by the boyfriend without whom I would not have survived in more ways than purely financially. It will also allow me to do something to permanently honor the memory of my parents (pictured at right on their wedding day): establishing a scholarship fund in their names. The scholarship will benefit graduating LGBT high school students in Virginia seeking to continue their education at a college or university.
*
I am working with the Hampton Roads Community Foundation which will manage investing the scholarship fund (HRCF currently administers 55 scholarship funds) and the application administrative process. I hope to promote additional future contributions to the scholarship fund through HRBOR (HRBOR's name will also be attached to the scholarship) and other organizations as a tax deductible charitable vehicle to provide assistance to LGBT youth who often face difficulties in backward states like Virginia and who may have lost family support because of their sexual orientation. With the support of others, it is my hope than the scholarship can grow to eventually serve multiple students each year in perpetuity.
*
Education was always important to both of my parents and played a role in the lives of myself and my siblings. As I have written about in the past, both immediately and unwaveringly supported me when I came out my often turbulent coming out journey. With this scholarship perhaps it will be a vehicle for youth who were not as lucky as I was in terms of parental acceptance.
*
The HRBOR - Hampton Roads Business OutReach - name will also be attached because founding HRBOR has been a labor of love and did much to replace the supposed circle of "friends" who largely abandoned me when I came out nearly a decade ago. Attaching the HRBOR name will also underscore that members of the LGBT business community - even in generally reactionary areas such as Hampton Roads - can and do make a difference and improve the community, one of HRBOR's goals.
*
Once the scholarship is fully in place - the first award should be in May/June, 2012 - I will do a follow up post with details and how tax-deductible contributions can be made to the fund.

1 comment:

Carole said...

Beautiful, Michael!