Friday, September 24, 2010

Gay Parenting - The Pain, the Joy and the Pride

I know that a number of my readers were married like I was and that the coming out and divorce process is horrific in many cases to say the least. One of the most painful aspects emotionally is the distance that can develop with one's children and the all too easily embraced feeling that one has failed them as a parent. I certainly experienced much of this myself.
*
The good news is that time is on the side of the gay parent. My therapist and others stated this repeatedly to me during some of my darkest days and it turned out to be true. I have a wonderful relationship now with my youngest daughter - pictured here giving a wedding toast - and I am also back in communication and better terms with my other two children. I view the three of them as the most successful aspect of my entire life. I sincerely hope that others who are currently experiencing very dark times will hang onto the knowledge that it does get better. Perhaps not as quickly as we would like, but again, time is on your side. I urge each of you currently feeling lost and thinking that all is over to take a deep breath, step back, and try to be patient.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Aren't you now glad that the "alternative endings" you thought about and tried were never successful.

Remember this day the next time you are at the abyss and pull yourself back for them.

Glad things, and with time, are getting so much better for you.

And I'm sure Martha has been a great help in all this also.

Bless "her" little heart.

Carole said...

Beautiful! You can be proud of your kids and the journey they're on, too!