Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka Are Expecting Twins

This is news came out a few days ago but merits recognition in my book nonetheless. The news? That Neil Patrick Harris and his partner, David Burtka, are expecting twins via a surrogate mother. Without a doubt elements of the fanatical Christian Right will be condemning Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka of "depriving their children the right to a mother," but I applaud their decision. I have know far too many lousy heterosexual parents and find it difficult to believe that dedicated gay parents won't far exceed the norm set by opposite parents who fail to do anything for their children past the act of procreation. Here are some highlights from The Advocate's coverage:
*
Neil Patrick Harris announced Saturday that he and his partner, David Burtka, are expecting twins this fall.
*
Harris, the openly gay star of the sitcom How I Met Your Mother and director of the recent Hollywood Bowl run of the musical Rent, made the announcement via his Twitter account.
*
We’re super excited/nervous/thrilled. Hoping the press can respect our privacy…”
*
My congratulations to both of them. I hope that they enjoy the wonders of being a parent and find the joy that my children have given to me. I also hope that the media will leave them alone.

No comments: