Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Stories from the Frontlines: Day Three Letter to President Barack Obama

The stories of those who have been discharged from the U.S. military due to the codified religious discrimination embodied in the failed Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy continue. As of yesterday, 30 blogs are helping disseminate the letters - this blog having been one of the first 10 to do so at the launch of the program. DADT is something that I find abhorrent that must go THIS YEAR. Today's letter to President Obama is from former Marine LCpl. Danny Hernandez (pictured at left) whose discharge bears similarities to that of two clients of mine who had their careers ruined by allegations lodged by disgruntled/bigoted service members. For readers just picking up on this series, these letters are open letters to the President, we are formally sending them in good faith via the White House website. Major Mike Almy and Capt. Joan Darrah - the authors of the first two letters of the series - received confirmation, several minutes after sending, that it was received by the White House Office of Presidential Correspondence. SLDN is collecting all of the letters here. This is Danny's letter to his president who has failed to live up to his promises to LGBT Americans:
*
April 28, 2010
*
President Barack H. Obama

The White House

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue Northwest

Washington, DC 20500
*
Dear Mr. President,
*
I was humbled to have earned the title of U.S. Marine just two years ago – my goal since I was 14 years old. But just nine weeks ago, I was informed of my discharge under the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” law. Mr. President, if I could be serving my country right now – I would be. Instead, I was fired while you were my Commander and Chief.
*
The stories we hear of discharged service members are becoming far too common and are based around a primitive law that we should have eliminated years ago. As this injustice continues to hurt our country, we are in desperate need of your support and leadership as we work to repeal “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.”
*
After I finished my training, I was a 20-year-old reservist. I returned to school to continue working on my undergraduate degree with hopes of becoming an officer. I wish I could tell you about my distinguished service, about stories from the war overseas, or about how being a Marine has changed my perspective on life, but I can’t.
*
My discharge came from the fear that my sexual orientation was going to be revealed by a third party; a group of unknown Marines who threatened to use my sexuality as a way to retaliate after a dispute in a bar. I had spoken with two fellow Marines from my unit; both of whom I trusted. They calmed me, told me that it wasn’t a big deal, and reassured me that everything was going to be fine.
I returned to drill only to find out that the two Marines – the Marines I confided in -- had mentioned it and word had reached my 1st Sergeant and Commanding Officer. They told the two Marines to submit written statements detailing everything I had told them.
*
When I walked in to my 1st Sergeant's office the first question out of his mouth was, "Are you gay?" I answered honestly. The investigation was now underway.
The 1st Sergeant proceeded to tell me that there was no way he could protect my privacy in the matter, citing the “grapevine,” and having no control over what people within the unit said or did. I was told by my CO to hang tight and wait to hear from the Battalion Commander.
*
Ultimately I was discharged, a fate I found out only through my persistent calls and emails. My dreams of being an officer had been shattered and it felt as if the world was tumbling down on me and all I could do was step aside.
Upon earning the title of Marine, I took an oath and vowed to “defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.” This enemy is a domestic one, and with your direction as Commander and Chief, this is a war in which we can be victorious.
*
Semper Fidelis” is the Marine Corps motto meaning “Always Faithful.” Not only am I willing and anxious to go overseas, but I am prepared to pay the ultimate sacrifice in order to protect our freedoms. I have remained faithful to my country; please be faithful to me.
*
Very Respectfully,
*
LCpl. Danny Hernandez, USMC (Separated)
*
Sadly, I am personally coming to believe that Barack Obama does not know what it is to be faithful and keep his promises. I find it disgusting and if it continues, I may well sit out the November 2010 elections since Obama and the Congressional Democrats are proving that having them in control does nothing more for LGBT Americans than having the GOP in charge. At least with the GOP our enemies do not pretend to be our allies.

No comments: