Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Wednesday Reflections


Today the weather was absolutely perfect and we went out to Sunset Key - which is a short launch ride from Key West proper - for lunch at Latitudes which is part of the Westin Resort based in Old Town Key West near the cruise liner docks. The photo above is of the view we had from our outdoor table looking towards the Gulf of Mexico. After the drama of 2009, I very much needed to recharge (as did the boyfriend) and the trip is much appreciated. I am so fortunate to have someone in my life who loves me enough to give me this trip as such a wonderful gift.
*
Overall, the vacation has been great so far even if I have to be in daily contact with the office and have done a fair amount of document drafting while away - not to mention responding to e-mails forwarded from my office e-mail. If nothing else, it reminds me that there is a big beautiful world out there and that I need not allow the backwardness of Virginia or my depression to blind me to that reality. The Oasis, the guest house where we are staying, is interesting because it is very laid back and has a clientel from all over the USA and the world. Currently, we have had British, Australians, Canadian and French guests as well as couples from New York, Tulsa, Denver, Chicago, Washington, D.C., and elsewhere. The photo below shows a few of the other guys that we've had the chance to meet and socialize with (yours truly is at far right). I recommend Key West highly and the Oasis is a great home base.
Meanwhile, at home the demolition started on Monday morning and sheet rock is being removed from the floor level up to a height of four feet. After the old insulation is replaced with foam non-absorbent insulation, concrete board will be installed in lieu of sheet rock and covered with a skim coat before PVC bead board wainscoting is installed to create a fully water proof seal. Once the repainting is done, marble floors will be installed throughout the first floor. Money over and above the insurance payment is being applied to guarantee that should the house ever flood again, no tear out will be required and the place can be literally hosed out.

No comments: