Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veterans Day Reflections

On this Veterans Day it's hard not to think of those who have served their country in the armed forces - particularly in an area such as Hampton Roads with such a large military presence. Moreover, my late father and all of his brothers served in World War II and my mother's father and mother both served in World War I which gave rise to Veterans' Day observances even though the "war to end all wars" or "great war" proved anything but the world's last conflict. On this Veterans' Day 2009, I especially think of my maternal grandmother who refused to fit the typical mold for Southern women and enlisted in the Army nursing corps and saw assignments in both Italy and France during World War I. Despite her Southern manners and accent, she was definitely unconventional by the standards of New Orleans of that time.
*
Even though I do not support the current Middle East conflicts, I respect the sacrifices of our men and women in the military. Would that past and present civilian leaders valued their lives and sacrifices as much as many rank and file citizens. The Chimperator and Emperor Palpatine Cheney head the list of those who dishonored our military through their deceptions and lies that took the nation to war in Iraq.
*
In ending, my honor and respect goes out to all veterans, both past and present and gay and straight, including my father, grand father and grandmother, and my various aunts (e.g., one of my mother's sisters was a Wave in the Navy during World War II) and uncles.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very nice posting.

To the members of our military, past and present, thank you for your service to your Country and to those who are, our extra appreciation in serving under DADT.