Sunday, October 04, 2009

Maggie Gallagher’s Anti-Biblical Marriage

I have long thought that the diva of anti-gay marriage, Maggie Gallagher, is in reality a cynical hypocrite who enjoys living large off of the monies donated to her anti-gay organizations. Like so many of the anti-gay "family values" crowd, Miss Maggie quotes the Bible when it helps her message of bigotry (and thus her financial cause as well) and utterly ignores it when some of those pesky Bible passages are problematic if literally applied to her own life. In short, she's the typical one standard for gays and a different standard for the "family values crowd hypocrites. She pretends to worship the Bible as the "inerrant word of God" - but only when convenient. Timothy Kincaid at Box Turtle Bulletin has captured an example of Gallagher's hypocrisy. Here is a portion of his post:
*
Maggie Gallagher, as the head of the National Organization for Marriage, is quite fond of extolling the virtues of “traditional marriage.” And, for those uncertain as to what “traditional” means, her protege Carrie Prejean, lets us know that it is marriage which is “biblically correct.” Well, when I was growing up in abiblically correct” family, one of the scriptures often quoted to Christian kids of dating age was 2 Corinthians 6:14:

Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols?
*
And lest any kids have any uncertainty about the application of that scripture or the meaning of “unequally yoked”, they were told in no uncertain terms that they were to only date other Christian kids. Marrying a non-Christian would be tragic.
*
It turns out that for the last 17 years, Maggie has been married to Raman Srivastav, who just happens to be Hindu. Oh, my. Well I guess we now know why Maggie un-traditionally uses her maiden name and why her husband is kept invisible.
*
I have nothing against Hindus - in fact I have many as clients and admire their spirituality. However, if Maggie Gallagher demands that my life must comply with the literal words of the Bible, then I believe it only fair that she apply the same standard to herself. Otherwise, I am sorry, but she is nothing more than a lying hypocrite.

1 comment:

Other Mother said...

Thanks for this. She has so many problems in her own life that she has the time to get into everyone else's business.

I myself am married to a very nice Christian girl. We met in church! I think I'm more traditional that this hag. Oh, did I say that out loud? Jesus will forgive me.

Susan