Friday, October 16, 2009

Life for Gays At Virginia Tech - And In Virginia

There is no denying that Virginia is NOT a gay friendly state. We have no employment non-discrimination protections, we are excluded from all other state non-discrimination laws, a constitutional amendment to the state constitution bars and recognition of our relationships, and the state seems to have an over abundance of Bible beaters and professional Christians, not to mention "universities" founded by Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson. One lives one's life out and proud despite the hostile social/cultural climate which in rural areas in particular can be literally life threatening. Thus, I found it interesting when I came across a column in the Virginia Tech student newspaper that featured a letter received from an unnamed gay student at Virginia Tech (the #1 rival of the University of Virginia, my Alma mater). To better understand the student's feelings, one needs to remember that Virginia Tech is located in the very small town of Blacksburg which is socially light years away from Charlottesville, the home of UVA, which is among the most liberal cities in Virginia. Some of the sentiments expressed by this student resonate with me and I have indeed shared similar thoughts on some of the points mentioned. Here are some highlights from the Collegiate Times:
*
I am a homosexual male growing up in a heterosexual society. I feel uncomfortable almost everywhere I am. I stereotype everyone, not to discriminate, but because I need to. I use it as a defense mechanism to target my oppressors. Darwin's theory, survival of the fittest, is not archaic; it applies to my everyday life. I know the weakest person will die off and I refuse to be that person.
*
I live a normal life for the most part. I wake up, brush my teeth, shower, eat breakfast, go to class, and come back to my residence hall. I walk around this gorgeous Virginia Tech campus and all that people notice is me. The picture perfect scene is ruined. I am the outcast. I am the outlier you learned about in math class. I am just one of the many that are discriminated against everyday on this campus.
*
I am an American, despite what many may say. I am just as much of an American as you. It was the Native Americans that were discriminated against first when their land was stolen from them. Then, the wave started. The Irish, blacks, Italians, Hispanics and homosexuals lined up as the next targets of hate. What is your ethnicity? Were you here first? Unless you are Native American, you weren't. Why do today's Americans feel that their very short presence on this land entitles them to decide who has the right to enter our land of opportunity? Our land: it's our land to be shared, not to own. We have all been discriminated against, but you don't remember. You never had to deal with it. Your parents might have, maybe your grandparents, or possibly your great-grandparents endured the sacrifices so you never would have to suffer discrimination. You just remember the privileges you have each and every day.
*
Take a second and ponder the word homosexuality. What images or feelings are evoked? For most people, the word homosexuality conjures up images of gay sex. Now, stop and think about heterosexuality. For the word heterosexual, we think about two people in love. Did you ever realize that homosexuals are simply two people in love too? Has society affected you? If you don't think it has then why do you see such a huge difference between homosexuality and heterosexuality.
*
Why do you fear me? Do you fear me because I am different? I don't call you names or go out of my way to hurt you. I don't yell redneck, hick, or white trash to those of you that so proudly display your Confederate heritage. I don't judge you, the upper class, for the endless privileges your parents provide you. Your tuition paid for, your new car, and your designer clothes all in hand with no questions asked. If you don't want to be me, then don't discriminate against me.
*
Is your vocabulary so limited that you must hurt me with the words "gay" and "faggot"? I am not asking for a series of miracles or for you to change the world. I am simply asking you to stop and think. Really stop and ponder your actions and words. Please ask yourself the question: Who does this hurt? It hurts more than you will ever know.
*
Having lived 37 years in the closet, I understand this student's world of fear and just wanting to survive all too well. In this modern and supposedly enlightened country, it is a travesty than citizens are treated in such a manner and have to face such bigotry - most of which traces back to poisonous religious based prejudice.

No comments: