Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Monday Melt Down - Update

As readers who saw a post I put up on Monday afternoon know, I went into a very serious melt down when I learned that the ex-wife had rejected what I saw as a fair settlement offer to end the post divorce wars which have been raging the last 10 months. Repeated court hearings with instances of gay bashing and - in my opinion anti-gay biased judges - had slowly but surely ground me down. Without going into all the details, I found myself in an involuntary stay at a local inpatient facility that bears some resemblance to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, at least in terms of some of the patients. My advice to anyone who may be thinking of doing something that might lead to such an result: DO NOT DO IT!! It was one of the most degrading and humiliating experiences of my life and in terms of what I need, did nothing for me since the program included no quality one on one therapy and most of the patients had much more difficult issues than my depression. Fortunately, I was released today and will now be able follow up with regular therapy and visits with my psychiatrist - perhaps exploring some other meds options in the process since my current ones obviously did not do the trick as needed. Virginia is not known for quality mental health facilities and/or accessibility which I got to observe first hand.
*
I will confess that I have not been in individual therapy to the extent that I should have been largely due to the cost involved. Once I pay the monthly amounts I must pay the ex-wife and other recurring monthly expenses, I simply do not have the funds to cover co-pays/deductibles on meds, therapy and monthly doctor visit, etc. A Richmond based non-profit is going to help me with some of these costs and I will make a dedicated effort to stick with the therapy program and stay on the full dosage of my medications.
*
One thing that was noteworthy this morning before the hearing to have me released is that the doctor that I spoke with and who backed my release understood the way gays are treated by the Virginia court system. Through other programs in which the doctor is involved, including Ryan White fund access, she said that the homophobia in the Virginia court system and among judges was horrific. She shook her head but was not surprised when I told her how one judge had stated that being gay was "a choice" and that therefore my divorce was due to my "choice" and, therefore, was all my fault as he proceeded to endeavor to wipe me out financially. I also advised the doctor how the Judicial Review Commission does NOTHING to repremand homophobic judges. She concurred that it is a travesty that needs to be stopped.

4 comments:

ZIRGAR said...

Man, I'm really glad that you're doing better. I can't even begin to imagine what you must be going through with everything, but I truly hope you will be able to find a way to endure and ultimately thrive despite the unjust obstacles.

Anonymous said...

What's disappointing is that you were the one who during the great gay blog freakout of 2007 when a bunch of gay bloggers were trying to justify being spineless hypocritical cowards at my expense to persevere.

I'm going to say likewise of you in October 2009.

We're dealing with people who thrive on misery, Michael. It doesn't matter whether they be vindictive women or men. You need to show resilience.

I do that every day by blogging. Each post is a collective fuck you to all my adversaries. Likewise, when I go to bed at night. In my bed, not some plastic mat on a steel bed frame in an 8x12 cell or some back alley due to residency restrictions.

So should you. You've got a really great partner, your business is doing well and you've got alot of resources about you. Let them in, Michael. Let them help you win.

Let us help you win.

Unknown said...

Very glad to hear that you are doing better. Sometimes anti-depressant medications can increase suicidal thinking. It is important to monitor and adjust as necessary. Please don't get to the point of desperation again. It is difficult for all of us. I am grateful that you are doing better now though...

jon said...

michael: please take care of yourself, and let others care for you who want to. how can the thousands of us who benefit from your blog help you? let us know--we want to assist.

as i continue to work, one day at a time, on my own coming out process, separation and pending divorce, and questioning whether there will ever be love and happiness in my life again, you and your wisdom, insights and experiences are what i have counted on almost everyday these past 14 months.

thank you for all you to for so many. you must "do" for yourself, too, my friend.
jon