Sunday, August 09, 2009

LGBT Attorneys Talk of Experiences

The fact that LGBT attorneys exist is slowly coming to be recognized in some quarters, including the American Bar Association which has now created a Commission on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity. Sadly, in Virginia, the Virginia State Bar acts as if LGBT attorneys do not exist and certainly are not something to be discussed. Similarly, even though the Virginia Canons of Judicial Conduct requires judges to be unbiased based on sexual orientation or else recuse themselves from a case involving LGBT litigants, virtually NOTHING is done to enforce these requirements and LGBT litigants are crucified for their sexual orientation regularly. Indeed, of five gays I know personally currently going through divorces, only one had a judge that did not take the divorcing husband's sexual orientation into consideration and use it as a reason to treat him with extreme harshness.
*
The Windy City Times has a story that looks at the experiences of some LGBT attorneys who - like myself- in some instances found themselves unwelcome because of their sexual orientation and their unwillingness to live in the closet. The irony, of course, is that most top law schools have anti-discrimination policies that interviewing law firms must sign whereby they swear that they will not discriminate against hiring and promoting LGBT attorneys. In Virginia, law firms sign these statements and then go right ahead and discriminate - one of the reasons I have told LGBT law students to seek careers outside of Virginia. Here are some story highlights:
*
Lawyers talked about their experiences in school and work in "The Gay Bar: LGBT Attorneys in the Profession," a forum held July 31 at the Hotel Intercontinental, 505 N. Michigan, as part of the American Bar Association's annual meeting. The attorneys spoke as the ABA's Commission on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity, chaired by San Francisco attorney Jeffrey G. Gibson, presided over the event and listened intently to the experiences.
*
Orr talked about working with an investment bank in Virginia—a place where he did not feel welcome. "They started off each day with a prayer," he said. When he eventually ended up with the Washington, D.C., office of Baker & McKenzie, he said, " [ the firm ] didn't know what they were getting," as the audience laughed. Orr indicated that he made it quite clear from the start that he was gay. He admitted that the firm has its challenges: "In order to have a breakthrough ... firms need to understand what diversity means."
*
Brent Adams, acting secretary of the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation, talked about attending the New York School University of Law as well as working at the Chicago law firm Katten Muchin Roseman ( then known as Katten Muchin Zavis ). Adams said that he was very out in law school and at work, serving as chair of the Bisexual Gay & Lesbian Law Students Association—commonly referred to as "Big Lisa." He received only one callback when he applied with ( mostly ) Chicago firms—from Katten—although he had no evidence that homophobia was involved in the lack of positive responses. When he was at Katten, a hiring partner asked me where he was from, and Adams responded, "Oklahoma." He laughed and said, "Well you know they only raise two things in Oklahoma." ( For those who don't know, the answer to that saying is "steers and queers." ) Adams informed his own mentor about what happened, and the partner visited him the next day "to see how he was doing."
*
"When I came out to the lesbian and gay law students as transgender, I was not met with the welcome atmosphere that I had anticipated," Levasseur continued. "One student asked me invasive and inappropriate questions about my genitals. Another said, 'I just don't get it.' ... I quickly realized that the community that had once been my support no longer included me. I didn't know where to turn."
*
A particular low point occurred when "during my first year, as I walked from the parking lot towards the law school building, an SUV sped up towards me as if to hit me," he said. "I jumped out of the way just in time and turned to see three of my classmates, future attorneys, in the car, laughing. At the time, I was not immune to threats on my life based on my gender expression. I just didn't expect it at my law school."
*
The above quotes give you a sense of how far the legal profession has to go in actually embracing diversity. States like Virginia - and anti-gay law firms - are losing many talented and innovate people because they continue to put more store in religious based discrimination rather than the Constitution's promise of equality. Sadly, medicine and accounting seem even more bigoted that the legal community.

No comments: