Monday, May 11, 2009

Brian Moran for Governor of Virginia

The boyfriend and I attended a fundraiser for Brian Moran (pictured at left), one of the Democrat candidates for Governor of Virginia this evening at the home of friends in Norfolk. This is the second time that I have had the opportunity to speak with Moran - we last spoke at the Equality Virginia Commonwealth Dinner on April 4th - and once again I was struck with his sincerity as well as his acceptance and comfort with LGBT Virginians. As I have stated before, I believe that it is imperative that the GOP candidate, Bob "Taliban Bob" Mcdonnell be defeated, and I believe Brian Moran represents the best candidate for the Democrats to accomplish the task of defeating McDonnell.
*
Frankly, while Terry McAuliffe has plenty of money, he has zero experience in Virginia government unlike Moran who has been in the General Assembly for 13 years. One might even say that McAuliffe is a modern day carpet bagger. I have very real concerns as to McAuliffe's ability to resonate with regular Virginia voters. On the other hand, Creigh Deeds, the other contender for the Democrat nomination hails from far southwest Virginia and I have grave concerns about his ability to attract voters in Northern Virginia and Tidewater which are literally different worlds from Deeds' home turf.
*
Lastly, this issue on Brian Moran's website means a lot to me:
*
Brian believes that all Virginians deserve basic civil rights, and he has stood for equality throughout his legislative career. He has consistently fought against writing discrimination into Virginia’s Constitution.• Fighting for Equality: Brian is the only candidate for governor who voted and campaigned against the Marshall-Newman Amendment in 2006. He does not support efforts to specifically exclude gays and lesbians from basic civil rights by writing discrimination into Virginia’s Constitution. Brian has also supported allowing adult patients to authorize visitation rights for whomever they choose and opposed employment discrimination.
*
I hope Virginia readers will join me in voting for Brian Moran in the June 9th Virginia primary.

No comments: