Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Should I Write a Book?

I have been humbled by the messages I have received from readers in response to my early morning post about my thoughts of suicide. You all are so sweet and supportive. I have talked at length with the boyfriend - who is none too happy with me - and a number of other folks who have encouraged me to channel my energy in a positive manner. The consensus seems to be that I should write a "tell all" book about my years in the closet growing up, my coming out journey, and the injustices regularly encountered by gays and lesbians who come out after years of marriage.
*
Since I first began this blog as a way to gather material for a book that my therapist believed I should write, it would make sense and fulfill that initial plan. Moreover, while the early posts give much detail, they never revealed everything - in part because I was technically still married and the divorce case still pending. Since the ex-wife has decided to go on a scorched earth style war against me, it seems only fair that previously unrevealed details about how I came to be married and other issues would now deserve full disclosure. Since truth is an absolute defense to a libel suit as is merely stating one's opinion (e.g., naming homophobic judges by name, GOP candidates who covered up for closeted gays in the Party), some might be most upset with what I might reveal, but they would have no basis for a lawsuit against me. Indeed, a lawsuit would only guarantee more publicity.
*
Obviously, the book would also talk about the world of gay blogging and some of the amazing people that I have met (e.g., Mike Rogers, Pam Spaulding, Waymon Hudson, Jeremy Hooper, among others). Let me have your thoughts and I will keep you updated on where I am going with this.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Michael,
You've been -- and continue to be -- an enormous help to me and to others, just by being authentically you. I get the hopelessness that some things seem to never get better, and they may be getting worse. It's exhausting. Recently I started a new counseling relationship, and the right person can be such a help. Just having someone listen and understand is therapeutic. You have more strength now than before, and more support, too. It may be the pits, but it's worth it to keep going.

Grateful for who you are!

Unknown said...

Michael:

You should do this.

Scott

Stephen said...

Go for it. Let the chips fall where they may. It seems there's already a large chip on your ex-wife's shoulder...

Unknown said...

Absolutely you should write a book. I would love to read it.