Monday, November 03, 2008

Reflections on Obama's Ground Game in Virginia

Last evening I stopped by Obama headquarters in Norfolk to pick up some signs and badges for working as an attorney in the "Protect the Vote" tomorrow at a majority minority precinct in Norfolk. Having in the past been a GOP precinct captain and city committee member for 8 years, I have been around many campaigns and seen the behind the scenes view at party headquarters. Never, I repeat never have I seen the number of volunteers and the organization I saw last night. It was utterly amazing - the office was packed with organizers and volunteers. As I have said before, a candidate's campaign organization tells you what they will be like in office and Obama's campaign exceeds ANYTHING I have ever seen.
*
A piece from Politico that references a GOP student in Charlottesville - probably at UVA - demonstrates the difference here on the ground in Virginia:
*
I've been called by the Obama Campaign 20 times in the past week, along with at least one mailer on the door every day and several personal visits. Not a single thing from the McCain campaign.I'm hoping that the law of diminishing returns means that the excess of GOTV'ing is having a net negative effect. ....
*
I'm as solid a McCain voter as one can be, but it's wearing to have to keep explaining to enthusiastic volunteers why I could possibly oppose Hope and Change — the repetition certainly creates an aura of inevitability. A single phone call or door knock from a Republican would be enormously encouraging.
*
One has to wonder how anyone with intelligence can support McCain/Palin, but the contrast is stark. The difference in local support has also shown in the attendance at campaign rallies in Hampton Roads by the two presidential candidates: In two visits, Obama had more than 30,000 people show up. In contrast, McCain had perhaps 5,000 (and that's being generous). Based on their campaign organizations, a McCain administration would be a disaster whereas Obama's would be smart, organized and able to get the job done.

No comments: