Friday, November 07, 2008

Blacks Betrayed Gays


I'm sure some will not like the title of this post but it's the sad truth of what happened on Tuesday in California as detailed in a Washington Post story. Personally, I cannot understand the mindset of a minority that has suffered greatly throughout the history of this nation which feels free to turn around and discriminating against another long abused minority. I sometimes thing the black community thinks it has a monopoly on being victimized and that no one is supposed to discriminate against them, but they can screw over whoever they wish.
*
The article also reveals the pernicious and sick mindset of those who don't give a rat's ass about the concept of freedom of religion and feel free to try to impose their religious beliefs on others by how they dole out CIVIL legal rights. Jasmine Jones who is quoted in the article shows herself to be a particularly ignorant ass. I hope the next time she is mistreated due to her race she stops to think she and other black voters have alienated those who otherwise would be their allies. As for the black business owners quoted, I hope their gay clients abandon them and make a point of telling them why they business is going elsewhere. Hit them where it hurts - their checkbooks. Bigoted and discriminatory actions need to have negative consequences. Am I bitter? Damn right I am. Here are some story highlights:
*
The same voters who turned out strongest for Barack Obama also drove a stake through the heart of same-sex marriage. . . . Seven in 10 African Americans who went to the polls voted yes on Proposition 8, the ballot measure overruling a state Supreme Court judgment that legalized same-sex marriage and brought 18,000 gay and lesbian couples to Golden State courthouses in the past six months.
*
The outcome that placed two pillars of the Democratic coalition -- minorities and gays -- at opposite ends of an emotional issue sparked street protests in Los Angeles and a candlelight vigil in San Francisco. To gay rights advocates, the issue was one of civil rights.
*
"I think it's mainly because of the way we were brought up in the church; we don't agree with it," said Jasmine Jones, 25, who is black. "I'm not really the type that I wanted to stop people's rights. But I still have my beliefs, and if I can vote my beliefs that's what I'm going to do. "God doesn't approve it, so I don't approve it. And I approve of Him."
*
The overwhelming rejection of same-sex marriage by black voters was surprising and disappointing to gay rights advocates who had hoped that African Americans would empathize with their struggle.
*
But Kesha Young, 32, called religious arguments a cover for persistent prejudices rooted elsewhere. Taboos against homosexuality are exceptionally strong in Africa, McCoy acknowledged. "I'm going to tell you something about the black race: We love to pass judgment. I think that's just a smoke screen about the church thing," said Young, a licensed vocational nurse.
*

I don't discriminate against people," he said, with a wave at the rows of lipstick and makeup. "I have a lot of customers who are homosexuals, transsexuals and bisexuals. I'm not against these people." He added: "But I'm a traditionalist. I come from a traditional family. People can do whatever they want in their own life, but I have to protect my family."

10 comments:

Java said...

"...but I have to protect my family." FROM WHAT??? oh, please...

Anonymous said...

I have read where straight blacks have a hatred for gay blacks. I don't know if they view being gay as being demeaning to a black man or what. I don't think they see discrimination against gays as the same as it is for race. I think they believe it is a sex thing and I think they will be the last group to endorse a gay life style being accepted in the US.

Ultra Dave said...

I wish someone could make a logical arguement without the religious overtones as to how same sex marriages threaten heterosexual marriages. I have yet to hear one.

Preacher said...

"God doesn't prove it, so I don't prove it..." I don't know should I laugh or cry...
People who say that God doesn't prove this or that or hates such things are followers of lesser god, servants of man-made narrow-minded monster.
May all those listen who have ears to hear: God loves all of His children, despite of race, orientation or eye colour.
Yet sad truth is, some people don't want to listen...

Anonymous said...

You know who's also at fault: Black and lesbian activists.

When those guys were citing phrases such as don't equate sin with skin or I didn't choose to be black, black gay and lesbian activists should have been all over this.

They did not.

BlackTsunami said...

Hold up Michael. Don't fall into the trap of blaming black folks for what happened in California. Among other things, as I understand it, it is coming out now that San Francisco voter turnout was very low.

Also, there is a lot of ignorance towards lgbts in the black community which unfortunately the lgbt community has not dispelled. Some of it has to do with not spotlighting lgbts of color in the community. The lgbt community has aided and abetted the phony notion that gay rights is somehow a "white concept."

I have been saying for years that the inability of the lgbt community to do more to bring visibility to lgbts of color will end up biting the entire community in the ass and it is happening now.

Michael-in-Norfolk said...

Blacktusnami,

I'm sorry, but I don't buy the excuse/argument that it's somehow the fault of whites that black lgbt's aren't more visible. In this area, the black churches are incredibly homophobic - even though AIDS and HIV are a much larger problem for BOTH male and female blacks in terms of the percentage of the population infected than for whites (for young black males its over 1 out of 10).

Do any black lgbt's challenge the horrific things the black pastors say regularly? Do they take public stands on the need to admit there's a problem? No sir or not that I have seen reported anywhere. The majority sleep around on the downlow and otherwise remain in the closet.

No one can make someone else come out of the closet or make them challenge their own churches - they have to do that themselves. Folks need to take responsibility for their own lack of action and failure to confront their own fellow blacks.

Wonder Man said...

I feel that religion is more at fault. In some cultures (like mine) religion is huge life factor. Most folks brought their religion in the voting booth. Also the LGBT community could've went into the Black and Latino communities to promote No on Prop 8. Seeing the faces could've changed the game. And we need more LGBT of color out there speaking for Prop 8

Anonymous said...

BLACKS BETRAYED GAYS. THEY SHOULD BE ASHAMED AND ARE THE NEW JIM CROWS OF THE 21st CENTURY.

SEE MY SPEECH ON THIS ISSUE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8VP3sosv6Y

Whatever said...

BLACKS BETRAYED GAYS! THEY ARE THE NEW JIM CROWS OF THE 21ST CENTURY. THE SAME ARGUMENTS THEY MAKE AGAINST GAYS ARE THE SAME WHITES MADE ABOUT THEM IN THE EARLY 1900'S.

SEE MY SPEECH ON THIS ISSUE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8VP3sosv6Y