Friday, October 10, 2008

William F. Buckley’s Son Says He Is Voting For Obama

Writing on a blog named the Daily Beast, Christopher Buckley, son of William F. Buckley who founded the National Review talks about why he is going to vote for Obama and equally important his analysis of the decline of the John McCain and the Republican Party. Quite a few would be gay activist such as myself - John Aravosis at America Blog is another that comes to mind - once were Republicans in the days when the Party stood for fiscal responsibility, individual rights and freedoms, education and knowledge, and limited government - and before the Party had been co-oped by the worse elements of the Christian Right. In short, the GOP has become a party that has no place for thinking, rational individuals who still cherish the concept of separation of church and state. I suspect that McCain/Palin will cause many more to join our ranks as former Republicans. Here are some highlights from Christopher Buckley's comments:
*
Let me be the latest conservative/libertarian/whatever to leap onto the Barack Obama bandwagon. It’s a good thing my dear old mum and pup are no longer alive. They’d cut off my allowance. Or would they? . . . . Dear Pup once said to me sighfully after a right-winger who fancied himself a WFB protégé had said something transcendently and provocatively cretinous, “You know, I’ve spent my entire life time separating the Right from the kooks.” Well, the dear man did his best.
*
John McCain has changed. He said, famously, apropos the Republican debacle post-1994, “We came to Washington to change it, and Washington changed us.” This campaign has changed John McCain. It has made him inauthentic. A once-first class temperament has become irascible and snarly; his positions change, and lack coherence; he makes unrealistic promises, such as balancing the federal budget “by the end of my first term.” Who, really, believes that? Then there was the self-dramatizing and feckless suspension of his campaign over the financial crisis. His ninth-inning attack ads are mean-spirited and pointless. And finally, not to belabor it, there was the Palin nomination. What on earth can he have been thinking?
*
I’ve read Obama’s books, and they are first-rate. He is that rara avis, the politician who writes his own books. Imagine. He is also a lefty. I am not. I am a small-government conservative who clings tenaciously and old-fashionedly to the idea that one ought to have balanced budgets. On abortion, gay marriage, et al, I’m libertarian. I believe with my sage and epigrammatic friend P.J. O’Rourke that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take it all away.
*
Obama has in him—I think, despite his sometimes airy-fairy “We are the people we have been waiting for” silly rhetoric—the potential to be a good, perhaps even great leader. He is, it seems clear enough, what the historical moment seems to be calling for. So, I wish him all the best. We are all in this together. Necessity is the mother of bipartisanship. And so, for the first time in my life, I’ll be pulling the Democratic lever in November. As the saying goes, God save the United States of America.

No comments: