Thursday, September 11, 2008

Obama Pledges Equality for All, Including Gays

It is blatantly obvious to a casual reader of this blog that I whole heatedly support the candidacy of Barack Obama and as many readers know I have both contributed money, donated old office furniture to his local office, and allowed his campaign staff to utilize my phone lines for phone banking. In my opinion, he is our best hope of turning this nation around and setting it on a better course. One of my many reasons for supporting Obama is that he does believe in equal rights for gays. In contrast, the McCain/Palin ticket believes that gays should be banned from the military, have no rights as couples, and should "pray away the gay." I truly shudder to contemplate what will happen to this country should McCain/Palin be elected. This week, Barack Obama’s presidential campaign responded in writing to a series of questions submitted by William R. Kapfer, co-president of Window Media, the Washington Blade’s parent company. Here are highlights from those questions and written responses:
*
Washington Blade: What personal experiences or friendships in your life have shaped how you view gay issues?
*
Barack Obama: Michelle and I have been blessed with many openly gay and lesbian friends and colleagues whom we have been close to for many years. While that fact has made the issue facing the LGBT community more personal, the fundamental reasons I have for supporting equality are greater than any individual. I am running for President because I believe that we as a nation need change. We need to end the divisive politics of George W. Bush and pursue policies that treat all of us, regardless of identity or background, with dignity, equality and respect.
*
Blade: Would you decline to nominate a qualified Supreme Court justice or cabinet member who had a history of nti-gay rulings?
*
Obama: I would have to consider the totality of the candidate’s record and qualifications. However, I think someone who has an established record of failing to support equal opportunities for all Americans would not fare well in an Obama-Biden administration.
*
Blade: Important gay rights legislation unrelated to marriage has been stalled in Congress for quite some time. The gay community has high expectations for an Obama administration. What are reasonable expectations for a first-term Obama administration: How aggressively would you push for Congress to pass ENDA, the hate crimes bill, repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” and other gay-related bills in your first year in office, and would you mention those bills in your State of the Union address?
*
Obama: These bills are all important priorities for me. Senator Biden and I have long committed ourselves to supporting fundamental civil rights for all. In addition to the issues you mentioned, I also support full repeal of DOMA to provide equal federal rights and benefits to LGBT couples. America must live up to our founding principle of equality for all, and it’s wrong to have millions of LGBT Americans living as second‐class citizens in this nation. I support these efforts because I know that equality is a moral imperative. Back when I was in the Illinois Senate, I co‐sponsored a fully inclusive bill that prohibited discrimination on the basis of both sexual orientation and gender identity, extending protection to the workplace, housing, and places of public accommodation. The non-discrimination bill has become law in Illinois. If I am honored to serve as your President, I will continue to do what I’ve done throughout my career and in this campaign: speak out on behalf of the cause for equal justice and opportunity for LGBT Americans.
*
Blade: Do you think repeal of all of DOMA would, in fact, prompt Congress to strongly consider and possibly pass a constitutional ban on gay marriage?
*
Obama: Again, I think this issue ties in to who controls Congress. And a Democratic Congress that enacts a repeal of DOMA would not be likely to pass a Constitutional ban on gay marriage — partly because our party rejects enshrining discrimination and divisive distinctions among citizens into our founding documents.

No comments: