Saturday, July 26, 2008

Random Thoughts - Updated Saturday Evening

UPDATED: I have modified this post. I am trying to find out more information, but it seems that there was a reason for my friend's seemingly - from my perspective - out of control behavior. In deference to him and all the wonder moments we have shared, I have deleted the rant portion of the post I wrote this morning. Please keep my friend in your thoughts and prayers.
*
This coming week should be interesting since my new subtenant for a portion of my office space will be moving in, with full occupancy to take place on Friday. I'd prefer not having an additional sub-tenant, but with the current economic slow down and utter crash of the residential real estate market, cutting overhead is a must. And who is my new subtenant you ask? The eastern office of the Virginia Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America ("ELCA"). They were seeking new office space in the general area of my office and a realtor friend who attends my parish brought them by since he knew I was looking for ways to lower overhead costs. Everyone seems very nice and hopefully all will go smoothly with us sharing the lobby area and the main conference room and kitchen. Whether or not they realize they are moving into the midst of a gay enclave remains to be seen. :) I believe that the strongest witness gays can make is to just be themselves and dispel the distorted stereotypes that some may hold - both I and my gay staff member will try to do our part in this cause.
*
On the romance front, I had a date on Wednesday evening with a very nice guy who is smart, personable, age appropriate as some might call it, seems totally comfortable with himself, and who is totally out. Hopefully, we will see each other again sometime soon. I truly do not want to get involved with someone in the closet because of all the baggage that goes with it. After years of hiding and worrying about be found out, it is SO liberating to just be able to be who I am with no pretense or apologies. I truly do not believe I could go back to living that way or with someone who lived in constant fear of discovery. To me the term "discrete" one sees in personal ads equates to repressed and a lack of self-acceptance.
*
Speaking of romance, next month my friends Martin and Christopher are having their long delayed wedding celebration. They were married last summer on 7-7-07 in Canada but never had a chance for a real celebration party due Christopher's mother's health (she died last summer). His mom was a truly great lady and a true inspiration for me and so many, many people. The affair will be on Virginia's Eastern Shore at a fabulous B&B. The house was originally built in 1746 and was destroyed in a fire around 1960. It has been faithfully restored and as the photo above and additional photos on the web site reveal, it is gorgeous. I still need to find a date for the affair. Any interested takers out there? :)

1 comment:

Java said...

I strongly agree with you about living an honest and open life in order to dispel the distorted stereotypes of gays.
Sorry you had such a sour start to your weekend. :(