Sunday, May 18, 2008

Sunday Musings


Yesterday was perhaps the first time I have not posted in well over a year. Rest assured that I am alive and well. In addition to working the Ghent Business Association booth at the Stockley Gardens Arts Festival in the Ghent area of Norfolk for a number of hours yesterday, I also spent much of the day with a wonderful new guy, first at the Arts Festival and then later at dinner. Following that we went to an open house/going away party for a client/ friend and her family (my friend and I are pictured at left at a pirate themed party at her house). Her husband is military and has received orders out of the area so my client and her children will soon be leaving for her parents’ home in British Columbia pending her husband settling in at his new command. She has been a great friend and definitely very gay friendly and affirming, as has her husband and all their friends. It would be wonderful to find a way to visit BC again while she’s there to show me the sights and introduce me to her friends. Goodness knows what mischief might occur. I will truly miss her and her husband, although like many Navy families, they will likely return to this area at some future date.
*
This morning, I went to church at First Lutheran Church (“FLC”) and saw my old friend from my family’s summer home growing up in the Adirondacks and brought her up to date on all the family doings, especially my son’s Appalachian Trail odyssey. My church attendance has been somewhat hit or miss lately – largely because I still have issues with some policies of the larger Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (“ELCA”). While FLC for the most part is very accepting of gays, the larger ELCA has yet to fully accept committed gay couples or allow gay clergy. I believe that result will eventually occur, but sadly for now some of the wing nut Bible thumpers prefer to embrace a message division and hatred for those who are different. Meanwhile, far too many of the moderates lack the guts to do the right thing instead wasting their time wringing their hands over “unity.” I’d rather do the right thing and stand alone instead of going with the crowd of lemmings over the cliff - would that more folks had some backbone. Of course, I did find some humor during the service today when the choir did a beautiful piece by gay Russian composer, Pyotr Il'yich Tchaikovsky. Heavens, what would the small element of gay haters at FLC think if they knew a sodomite had written the piece performed during communion? :)
*
Later, I will have dinner with my daughters in honor of my oldest daughter’s 26th birthday this past week. I always enjoy my time with my girls. They are smart, beautiful and wonderful individuals. Yes, I am a wee bit biased, but they are all of what I’ve described. Until then, I am going to get a little work done and post a few more articles.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What joy came to my heart and sparkle to my eye when I read the words:

I also spent much of the day with a wonderful new guy,

How marvelous that you enjoyed the company of another! Good things to happen to good people.

I am very happy for you.

May the trend continue.

Java said...

Yes, I too noticed it! Was that indeed a mention of a fella? Well, this is nice. Good luck!

Michael-in-Norfolk said...

Yes, it was a reference to a guy - nice, tall, blond, intelligent and handsome. :)

Anonymous said...

Just what the lawyer ordered.
Hope all goes well.
You definitely deserve it!
Smiles and hugs.
:)

Billy said...

See how you sneaked that little titbit in there...

Well done M - not jumping the gun, but have a whole lot of fun!!