Sunday, April 13, 2008

LGBT Standing United

De Sube left a very kind comment on yesterday's post about the Equality Virginia conference on Transgender issues yesterday. She understates her own contribution and deserves a huge "thank you" for all the work and coordination that she put into the event. I think the thing that I gained the most from the conference - I was thinking about it while mowing the grass earlier today - was a renewed appreciation that all of us in the LGBT community share something in common: we are all God's sons and daughters and each of us shares in a common humanity that should take precedence over everything else.
Would that the hate merchants of the Christian Right would ever bother to take the time and get to know us and talk with us. I suspect that if the Christianists ever did - something that will sadly I doubt will ever happen - they would find out that we are all in essence alike. True, how we perceive ourselves, who we fall in love with, how we pesent ourselves varies greatly. However, beneath the surface we are the same. Moreover, we all deserve respect and the chance to find happiness without others denigrating us and endeavoring to make us something less than fully human.

1 comment:

EncouragingWord said...

Michael,

Your points are so true. The saddest thing is that people so often believe that if they don't understand something, then it must be wrong. I certainly don't understand all of the issues involved with transgender people, but I don't have to. All I know, like you, is that they are God's creation and that He loves them. That's good enough for me.