Wednesday, February 27, 2008

In Search of Gay Surfers

As a surfer myself, I know that other gay male surfers exist even though this article in the Advocate (http://www.advocate.com/exclusive_detail_ektid52314.asp) correctly indicates that there are no "out" pro surfers. Like any sport, I suspect that they are there even among the ranks of the elite Association of Surfing Professionals ("ASP") world tour contestants. Since there is a macho aspect of surfing, I suspect just like in pro football and pro baseball, the gay surfers stay closeted by choice - at least professionally. No doubt the fear of losing lucrative endorsements also plays a major roll in keeping the closet door shut tightly. While the article mentions a yahoo group for gay surfers, I can state for a fact that Myspace also has similar groups - I belong to a couple, in fact. Personally, I don't advertise that I'm gay while out in the water, but I DO enjoy discretely admiring the eye candy. :) Here are some story highlights:


Gay women who surf abound -- they even have their own reality show -- and yet finding blokes who are out, proud, and surf isn't easy. Writer Dennis Hensley tells us why. Despite its easygoing, enlightened vibe, surfing has a long history of homophobia. When a 1988 magazine article implied that Aussie surf star Cheyne Horan was gay, he lost endorsement deals and friends. A decade later, former top-5 pro Robbins Thompson left the sport in disgust after his sexuality became known and he started hearing taunts in the water and having the word "fag" painted on his car.


"The gay guys I know who surf tend to try and keep their sexuality and their surfing separate," says Leslie Smith, a part-time surf enthusiast who works for a nonprofit organization in Manhattan. "They’re not closeted, but they’re not going to necessarily wear freedom rings on the beach." Smith adds that he has encountered homophobia on the beach, but like most surf-related altercations, it was all about turf. "I pulled up to this little cove in Hawaii a couple years ago," he recalls, "and a couple of a guys came over like, 'What are you doing here? Locals only.' They started calling me gay and making effeminate gestures and it became clear that I was going to leave or I was going to get beaten."

When L.A.-based entrepreneur Eric Mueller started surfing in the late 1990s, he found a far more welcoming scene. "I hung out with this straight guy who had a girlfriend, yet he'd always be like, 'I really want to make out with you,'" says Mueller, laughing at the memory. "He was the epitome of the surfer types I would meet, just very laid-back guys who didn’t subscribe to all the rules of society, including the ones that say guys aren’t supposed to make out with other guys."


If there's hope for an out and proud future for gay men in surfing, it's personified by Dan Abrams, a financial analyst in Los Angeles who started a Yahoo group for gay surfers several years back that has since grown into a gang of around 20 or so gay and gay-friendly surfers. "It became like this really cool little family," says Abrams, an Army veteran and former USC rugby player, "and we've never experienced any homophobia in the water whatsoever. We openly talk about guys in the water and I’ve never really gotten anything more than just a surprised second look."

Abrams would love it if his group helped inspire other gay men to hop on board. "Sometimes, I think we worry so much about homophobia that it keeps us from doing things that we're interested in," says Abrams. "Maybe if people knew there were other (gay) people doing this, it might give them hope or a network of people to go do this with." And, let's face it; it's pretty sexy too. "When I’m out at a bar and someone’s like, 'What are your hobbies?' and I say surfing, their eyes perk up," says Abrams. "I have a surfboard in my apartment," adds Ahrens, "and I said to a friend who’s very stylish, 'I should probably get that out of here. It doesn’t look proper,' and he said, 'Oh, no no no, keep it there. That’s going to get you laid.'"

1 comment:

Java said...

OMG, surfers! Sex on the water. There they are, trim, muscular, tanned, and wearing some sexy skin tight suit. Bathing suit or wet suit, it's all sexy. It seems like a perfect scene for gays. Too bad there's that homophobia. Hopefully it will lessen with time.