Friday, August 10, 2007

Biggest Gaffe at LOGO Candidate Debate

Gov. Bill Richardson effectively shot himself in the head last night when the following exchange took place between the Governor and Melissa Etheridge:

MS. ETHERIDGE: Thank you. Do you think homosexuality is a choice, or is it biological?

GOV. RICHARDSON: It's a choice. It's --

MS. ETHERIDGE: I don't know if you understand the question. (Soft laughter.) Do you think I -- a homosexual is born that way, or do you think that around seventh grade we go, "Ooh, I want to be gay"?
GOV. RICHARDSON: Well, I -- I'm not a scientist. It's -- you know, I don't see this as an issue of science or definition. I see gays and lesbians as people as a matter of human decency. I see it as a matter of love and companionship and people loving each other. You know I don't like to categorize people. I don't like to, like, answer definitions like that that, you know, perhaps are grounded in science or something else that I don't understand.


While Richardson's track record on LGBT issues has actually been pretty positive, that statement was simply insane and no doubt turned off the majority of the viewers. One would think he was affiliated with Focus on the Family if all they heard was that exchange. I still have not decided which candidate I prefer.

1 comment:

D-Man said...

Oh, this is an horrible gaff from Bill. I'm surprised, really. He has really come across as supporting LGBT issues in the past. Moreso, I believe, than most of the other candidates. He has talked about allowing gays to serve openly in the military.

What the hell happened??????