Sunday, June 03, 2007

Why Civil Rights of All Groups Matter


Boston Pobble had this poem posted on her site. It clearly makes the point of why tolerating oppression or the deprivation of the civil rights of one element of society sets the stage for wider oppression and abuse. Unfortunately, too many in the USA right now don't make the connection with what is being done to gays by the Christianists - James Dobson is a prime example of the vicious bullies of the far right - is only the beginning of their agenda to impose a theocratic rule where they decide who has rights and who doesn not. Gays are only the first of their targets.

They came first for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me,
and by that time no one was left to speak up.

~ Martin Niemoller (from the NE Holocaust Memorial version of the quote)

4 comments:

BostonPobble said...

I'm honored it meant enough to you that you mentioned me. Thanks.

kenny said...

I've heard that saying before they have it hanging in a lot of my social studies classes at school.

Anonymous said...

Michael,

If they keep sitting on their hands, what happened in the middle east over the past decade will look like a Sunday picnic.

Any fanatic is dangerous.

Soul Seared Dreamer said...

That is a great quote and sadly so true for most people.