Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Homophobia Claims Another Life


365gay (http://www.365gay.com/Newscon07/06/060507suicide.htm) is reporting on the suicide of a gay teen as a result of mistreatment because of his sexual orientation. While this death did not occur in the USA, it is another reason why the Matthew Shepard Act must get enacted and, if vetoed by Chimperator Bush, set back to Congress for an over ride vote. Here's the story:

Fifteen year old Jonathan Reynolds (pictured at left) sent his family a final text message minutes before he lay down on the tracks in front of train traveling at 85 miles an hour.

"Tell everyone that this is for anybody whoever said anything bad about me, see I do have feelings too. Blame the people who were horrible and unjust 2 me. This is because of them, I am human just like them. I hope they rot in hell 4 what they made me do. They know who they are," said the message to his father and his 14 year old sister.

"None of you blame urself mum, dad, Sam and the rest of my family. This is not because of you." the message ended.

An American study on teen bullying released in March found that lesbian and gay adolescents were three to four times more likely to report having been bullied than heterosexual teens.

If Bush vetoes the Matthew Shepard Act, the message to LGBT Americans is that our lives and safety do not matter to Bush and his religious fanatic base.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I expect him to do exactly that.

And if Harper and his minions have their way up here, they'll strike down the portions of the law that protect the GLBT community too.

I really wonder where peoples' heads are at some days.

BostonPobble said...

Oh God, no...