Saturday, June 09, 2007

Gay Parenting - Graduation

With the divorce war still ranging, I was beginning to fear that I was not going to be invited to my youngest daughter's high school graduation (she is pictured at left). Last night she contacted me and said that not only was I invited, but so was Raymond, my b/f, and that she was mailing us admission tickets. She did suggest, however, that we not sit too close to her mother "for obvious reasons." It will be interesting if my estranged wife's parents will be there. At my son's graduation three years ago, they acted like I was invisible and never said a word to me.
Personally, I do not see what they gain by alienating me. I will always be my children's father and they run the risk that I could poison the kid's view of them (if I were that type of person, but I am not). I suspect too, that they are behind some of the viciousness of the divorce. I hope I am wrong, but I suspect not.
Back to my daughter. I am very proud of her and love her very much. She is smart, beautiful and a sweet person. Of any of the kids, she had it the most difficult with me coming out since teenage girls are so incredibly vicious and gossipy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She's truly a beautiful young woman Michael.

Someone to truly be proud of.

Please pass along our congratulations to her on her graduation day.

dondon009 said...

I hope this went well.... your daughter is indeed beautiful!

BostonPobble said...

My partner, Lithus, was invited to his daughter's graduation under very similar circumstances (this is a long story with lots of explanation required ~ please trust me, though, that the situations are similar.) I know how thrilled he was when she included him in spite of pressure to do otherwise. I would imagine your joy and pride in your daughter would sound very much like his did. Congratulations on raising a remarkable young woman. Be sure to save some of your pride for yourself. ;)