Thursday, May 03, 2007

Letter to a GOP Congessman

The Hate Crimes Act passed by the House and facing a veto threat by Chimperor Bush continues to hang in my mind. In my former straight/closeted life, I was involved in the GOP, resigning after the wingnut Theocrats took over the party locally and nationally. As a result, I still know many GOP elected officials, most of whom act as if I am a leper now that they know that I (1) am gay, (2) usually work for their Democrat opponents, and (3) oppose the efforts of their wingnut base to impose a theocratic government on all citizens. I also suspect that a number hold a grudge for me warning them about rumors in the gay community concerning former Congressman Ed Schrock many months before he was “outed,” by tapes of his Mega Phone ads seeking gay sex that were reportedly recorded by a prominent Norfolk woman (Virginia's current Attorney General was among those I warned some eight months before Schrock's outing). Only one has been gracious enough to apologize to me for their less than kind words to me at the time.

With this back ground, I could not help but write a GOP Congressman about their vote against the Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes Act (fortunately, my current Congressman is a Democrat and voted in favor of the Act). Here’s the text of my letter:

You have known me for a long time. I was disappointed to see that you voted against the Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes Act. As a gay, tax paying citizen, I believe that I am entitled to the same protection afforded under the current Hate Crimes Law that protects against hate crimes based on, among other things, religion. Until you have experienced it, you cannot know what it’s like to be mocked, physically threatened and fearful for your safety for being a “faggot.”

Unfortunately, I have had the experience. Worse yet, those who abused me and threaten me in this manner were Norfolk police officers and I was less than 10 blocks from my home. Filing an Internal Affairs complaint, etc., yielded no results and the officers involved are still out on the Norfolk streets. (Based on my experience, in my view, Internal Affairs works to protect the police and not the public.) Had I had protections under a federal statute, perhaps things might have been different.

If your argument is that you oppose all hate crimes laws, then please introduce a bill to repeal the existing federal statute – and watch the bigots of the “Christian” Right go ballistic. They want protections for themselves, but not other citizens who do not share their religious views. Therefore, I urge you to take away their “special rights.” Otherwise, please rethink your vote and support the Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes Act if it comes back before the House of Representatives.

It will be interesting to see if I get any response. I am not going to hold my breath.

No comments: